Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kayaking in Crystal River


We've been in Florida for more than six weeks now and for the most part the weather has been very cold. Some mornings we've awakened to heavy frost and the tender plants in front of our condo unit have really suffered. We haven't complained about the weather because in spite of the cold, it's almost always 20 to 25 degrees warmer than NJ. I check every day!

Sunday, February 8, the weather finally turned warmer and we're told it will stay warm for at least the next 10 days. Monday Dick and I rode our bikes along the dedicated bike path on the road to the beach near our condo.

And, today, some of the women in the community went kayaking. It was my first time in a kayak in two years and I was a bit anxious about my stamina. My cousin, Sue, has been gracious about allowing me to use one of her kayaks.

This time of year the water tends to be rather low, particularly when the tide is out. We set out from Sue's dock (specially designed to adjust to the water level) planning to kayak to Lake Louisa. It was a beautiful day, the mullets were jumping and we watched a pelican catch his dinner. About an hour out we began to encounter low water and to get stuck from time to time in the mud. When it became apparent we were going to have to portage over an oyster shell shelf, I decided to turn back. Abby was kind enough to join me while the two Sue's forged ahead.

Abby and I were back home about two hours after we set out. For the first kayak of the season, it was enough for me. I'm looking forward to going out again soon, preferably when the tide is in.

No comments: