Saturday, August 16, 2008

In the Company of Women


In the Company of Women
Originally uploaded by rallaronson
I spent the last week at Ferry Beach, a UU camp on the coast of Maine. I shared my time there with 87 other women who were also interested in connecting, learning more about themselves and others and playing by the sea.

The photo, taken in front of my tent (which was a bit soggy at times) is of me and my three travel companions. It was a long trip from NJ and we shared driving responsibilities. We're a companionable foursome and it was fun getting to know each other better.

Ferry Beach is a large compound situated right on the ocean near Saco, Maine. it's been in existance for more than 100 years. There are lots of guest rooms, meeting spaces, a beautiful outdoor chapel and a campground. The food is tasty and plentiful.

Those in attendance had a choice of morning workshops including yoga, shamanic journey, women loving women, sacred circle dance, discovering the super shero within and Soul Conversations for Women over 50, the one I chose.

There were 11 of us in the soul conversations group including our fearless leader, Julie. We ranged in age from late fifties to 91 and came from the east coast of the US and Canada. Some of us are straight and some are gay; some in committed relationships and some living alone.

We spent each morning in deep conversation about our lives to date and our hopes and fears for the future. A number of us were at or near retirement and were thinking about change. Over the course of six days we developed a level of trust and honesty that was very rewarding. I felt that these women had become my sisters.

Meals and the late afternoon social hour offered opportunities to meet other women and have conversations about politics, diversity, grandchildren and the frequent rain showers. Those so inclined took bike rides, hiked or enjoyed the beach.

It was a week that expanded my horizons and made me grateful for "the company of women."

1 comment:

roxy =^o^= said...

Happy Birthday fellow Ravelry knitter :)
hugs,
Anne aka harajukuroxy

PS - I used to work in Garwood and the Westfield Diner was one of my favorite hangouts :)

http://meowycakes34.blogspot.com