Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Acute Startitis

I don't seem to be able to settle on one knitting project. At this moment, I'm sitting surrounded by unfinished items. In the chair with me are:


Dick's Kauni Sweater with the body nearly finished. I need about one more pattern repeat on the body and I can do the steeks for the sleeves. The whole idea of cutting the sweater has me uneasy so I'm not too motivated to do that last inch or so.


Also sharing the chair with me is the Oriental Lily Sweater/Dress for Linny. I've got about five inches done on the skirt and have about five inches to go. And, I need to do the sleeves. I love the color and the feel of the yarn (Berroco Geode), but I'm tired of stockinette stitch over and over.


The third item in the chair with me is my newest project, the Kindred Knits Yoked Cardigan, for Gizmo. I stumbled on this pattern today as I was surfing ravelry (as a way to avoid actual knitting) and decided it would be perfect for the baby to be of my daughter's close friend who lives in San Francisco. The baby isn't due until November, so there's no big rush, but it's such a cute pattern I wanted to cast on right away.


On the floor next to my chair is a canvas sack with the sleeves and body of Decimal. I started this project in mid-March while I was still in Florida. It's time to join the body and sleeves to complete the yoke. I'm just not very excited about this sweater and I don't imagine I'm going to finish it. To frog or not to frog...


Sharing the sack with Decimal is a Kid's Top-Down Raglan by Gail Tanquary. I started it thinking I would donate it to charity. It's a stash buster and I do intend to finish it.


Across the room in another canvas sack is the Weaver's Wool Mini Shawl. If I am struggling with round after round of stockinette stitch on the Lily Dress, imagine how I feel about increasingly long rows of garter stitch. I know it will be beautifull when it's finished, but I just don't have any motivation for this project right this minute.


Also hiding in the bottom of another canvas sack is Eyelet Cardigan by Norah Gaughan. I really don't like projects that need to be sewn together and I'm not happy with how the first sleeve attached. I've started to take it back off so I can resew it, but I'm not optimistic it will be any better then next time.


Then, there are the projects I was reminded of when I reorganized the stash. Deep down in the Rubbermaid tubs, I found two half finished baby sweaters, Peapod Baby Set by Kate Gilbert and


Carlos by Berroco Design Team. Carlos needs an inch or two on the front and two sleeves. Peapod needs more work and may just be heading for the frog pond.

I should be summing up this post with a humorous paragraph outlining a cure for acute startitis, but I'm stumped. If any of these or future projects required the purchase of additional yarn, I could say I'm not buying at this time. And, I'm not. I've even stayed away from our LYS's huge sale. Each time I start a new project, I'm knitting from stash and that's a good thing, right? The question is how to stop starting. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd love to have it.

No comments: